3411 NW 13th Avenue
This house stands out to anyone whose commute takes them in the right direction on 34th Street. Current owners Todd Whitehead and Karena Becker undertook a comprehensive rehabilitation of this 1961 mid-century property in 2015, returning the interior to its original appearance, restoring the terrazzo and Patiorama glass doors. The house is located in the Libby Heights neighborhood.
312 NW 32nd Street
Located in the Black Acres neighborhood, this house was designed in 1955 by University of Florida Architecture Professor F. Blair Reeves for his family. Reeves designed two mid-century modern homes in Gainesville, but he is best known for his work to preserve historic buildings, including his role in establishing the Preservation Institute: Nantucket. The house has mid-century modern features like an open floor plan, a sliding glass wall, and a flat roof, among others. Both of the Reeves-designed houses in Gainesville have a walled, landscaped entry court that serves as transitional space between the natural and built environments.
2209 NW 29th Street
Built in 1967 in the Meadows neighborhood, the first and longest-term owners of the house were Norman and Christine Bowman. Mr. Bowman served as Director of Community Development for the City of Gainesville for 28 years and Assistant City Manager for four years. Later owners Henry Quintana and Krista Ruggles substantially updated the house, including replacing the exterior wood siding with stucco. Common mid-century modern features of this house include a flat roof and floor-to-ceiling windows that visually connect interior to exterior.
1504 NW 61st Terrace
Located in the West Hills neighborhood, this house was commissioned by Pierre and Louise Bejano in 1962. Mr. Bejano moved to Gainesville to become Assistant Director of the WRUF radio station. The house was then owned by James Freeland, a professor at the University of Florida Levin College of Law. The house was designed by Dean Bryant Vollendorf, who taught at the UF College of Architecture and Fine Arts. Vollendorf worked with Wisconsin architect John Randall McDonald and designed the house in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright, whose influence can be seen in the low profile and deep eaves of the house. The house retains period features like the original cabinets and custom light fixtures.
1010 NW 36th Road
This residence in the Creekside neighborhood and sits among several mid-century modern houses overlooking Hogtown Creek. Designed in 1957 by architects James McVoy and Cleland Rose, the house is sited to take full advantage of topography, raised on steel columns with a cantilevered living area. The main living area is accessed by a plank catwalk. Mid-century modern features include floor-to-ceiling plate glass windows and hopper windows to promote cross-ventilation.
2240 NW 7th Lane
Located in the Pinedell neighborhood, this house was built in 1950 by sisters Laura and Fanida Baker and was subsequently owned by Joseph Julin, who served as Dean of the University of Florida Levin College of Law from 1971-1980. The house was designed by architects Guy Fulton and Sanford Goin. Fulton served as architect for the Florida Board of Control from 1945 to 1956 and was responsible for numerous buildings on the UF campus, including Century Tower and Jennings Hall. Goin studied architecture at UF and entered private practice with his father, Newbold Goin, at the firm which would become Brame Heck Architects. Current owners John and Carol Koogler sensitively renovated and expanded the house in 2005.
Gainesville Modern would like to thank our sponsors
University of Florida
UF Historic Preservation
Alachua County Habitat for Humanity
FBC Home Mortgage
Pillar to Post Home Inspections
Clarissa Carr Graphic Design
Coldwell Banker MM Parrish Realtors
Haile Kitchen and Bath
Carpet One Flooring
Curia on the Drag
JGI General Contractors